Bakersfield Arc hopes to help people with intellectual disabilities find jobs
Kern Regional Center is committed to working on identifying employment opportunities for people with developmental disabilities who want to work.
KRC is continuing to explore and develop partnerships with businesses of all sizes, community organizations and government agencies throughout Kern, Inyo & Mono Counties to identify various options and opportunities. Staff work diligently to match skills, talents, abilities and interests with the right job with the right employer.
For many of our young adults and their families, the desire for competitive and integrated employment in the community is at an all-time high. The task is working with our employer programs and community to identify and develop opportunities that will be of mutual benefit to everyone involved.
Employment First Policy
KERN REGIONAL CENTER BOARD OF DIRECTORS
EMPLOYMENT FIRST POLICY
DATE SUBMITTED: 02/23/2021
PURPOSE: To be consistent with the Lanterman Act, California Welfare and Institutions Code, Section 4629(c) and Section 4869(a) Employment First Policy.
POLICY: This Employment First Policy addresses that opportunities for integrated, competitive employment will be given the highest priority for working age individuals with developmental disabilities, regardless of the severity of their disabilities. Competitive employment means work in the competitive labor market that is performed on a full-time and part-time basis in an integrated setting and for which an individual is compensated at or above the minimum wage, but not less than the customary wage and level of benefits paid by the employer for the same or similar work performed by individuals who are disabled. Kern Regional Center will measure progress, and report outcomes, in implementing the Employment First Policy, which may include, but are not limited to measures addressing the following:
- 1. Establishment of local partnership agreements between regional centers, local educational agencies, and the Department of Rehabilitation districts [WIC 4629(c)(1)(A)(v)(I)].
- 2. Provide information to consumers regarding the Employment First Policy, opportunities for employment, and available supports to achieve integrated competitive employment by [WIC 4629(c)(1)(A)(v)(II)]:
- a. Providing information, in an understandable form, to the community about regional center services and supports, including budget information and baseline data.
- b. Conducting a public meeting where participants can provide input on employment performance objectives and using focus groups or surveys to collect information from the community.
- c. Circulating a draft of the employment performance objectives to the community for input prior to presentation at a regional center board meeting.
- d. Presentation for board input before adoption of the objectives.
- 3. Integrated competitive employment to be the first option considered by planning teams for working age individuals, but individuals may choose goals other than integrated competitive employment [WIC 4869(a)(3)].
- 4. Consideration of postsecondary education, technical or vocational training, and internship programs may be considered as a means to achieve integrated competitive employment or career advancement [WIC 4869(a)(4)].
KRC Board of Directors Approval Date: 03/22/2022